Strawberry Jalapeño Salsa and Sweet Vidalia Onion Slaw: Perfect Sides for a Steamy Poolside BBQ!
We’re currently on vacation in sunny and oh-so-steamy South Carolina.
It’s the first week after Logan emerged from his freshman year of college, so we decided to arrange a lazy get-away. No schedules, no alarm clocks, no pressure, just togetherness and fun.
We rented a pet-friendly house to ensure that we could bring our dog, Tia, as well. The house has a gorgeous private pool, so despite the temps outside that have been pushing 100 each and every day, we’ve been happily chillaxin’ in the water.
I’m so overjoyed to have all of my chicks here bobbing in the pool and basking in the sun! (Yes, with sunscreen, never fear!)
I’ll share more about our vacation early next week.
Friends who live in nearby Greenville are coming to join us today, so I threw together two chilled, no-cook sides that will be perfect additions to our barbecue lunch: Strawberry Jalapeño Salsa, which I’ll serve with tortilla chips, and Sweet Vidalia Onion Slaw, which will complement the burgers and brats.
I made up the salsa recipe, but I’ll try my darndest to replicate it below because it’s yummy.
As far as the Vidalia recipe goes, I know it might sound a tad odd to make a slaw out of onions, but Vidalia onions are so sweet that some folks here eat them like you would an apple, so I’m told. Apparently they peel off the skin, and then take a big crunchy bite out of the sucker with, I suppose, onion juice dripping down their chins. Let’s just hope they never shove a stick in the darn things and then dip them in caramel and chopped peanuts.
With that whole “apples are like onions” thought in mind, this relatively tame slaw might not seem quite so “out there” in comparison.
Both of these dishes are a little feisty: packed with flavor and with a punch. They’re both also crisp, cool, relatively healthy, refreshing, and take no time at all to make.
Better yet, neither of them require slaving over a hot stove. And to this vacationing, pool bobbing mama, that’s what this week is all about!
Here’s how you pull them together.
Strawberry Jalapeño Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 large jalapeño, diced
- 1/2 cup Vidalia onions, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 single chipotle chile from a can with adobe sauce, minced (You can find these in the Mexican section of most grocery stores.)
- The juice of one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of fresh corn
- Chopped cilantro – to taste
- Mix all ingredients together and chill.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Sweet Vidalia Onion Slaw
Recipe courtesy of: The View From Great Island
- 2 large Vidalia onions (or other sweet variety)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- lots of fresh, cracked black pepper
- Peel and slice the onions into 1/8″ slices and then cut the slices into halves or thirds
- Place the onions in a bowl, separating rings as you go.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients to make the dressing
- Pour enough dressing over the onions to saturate them, but don’t drown them.
- Toss well and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
(If you intend to print these recipes, just give a holler in the comments below and I’ll include the printable versions.)